05/07/2014

[Ubuntu] Fix volume reset after reboot

A small but annoying bug in Ubuntu causes the sound volume to be unmuted and reset to 100% after a reboot or logout.

This can be fixed by editing the /etc/pulse/default.pa configuration file for PulseAudio:

gksu gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

Then look for these lines:

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

and comment out the first one:

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
#load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

Save, logout or reboot and you're set.

6 comments:

  1. Stefano,
    Greatly appreciate your advice here, but after commenting-out the line, and rebooting, same problem...
    Went back to the pulse/default.pa file and triple commented it out, but no luck, still blasting at 100% after boot(??)
    Do you know anything else that may help?
    Thanks,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      sorry it didn't work for you. On my Ubuntu 14.04 x64 that trick solved the issue. I have no clue why on your system it's not working.

      I've seen this workaround make Ubuntu start with the volume muted, but when you unmute it's set to the level it was before rebooting

      Delete
  2. This worked for me. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I don't have to jump in my seat and make angry remarks at my screen anymore whenever I forget to check my volume level after rebooting. ;)

    ReplyDelete

With great power comes great responsibility